Post #2 The Coronavirus made me do it


You saw them. Don't lie to me. Everyone saw them! They were practically the only thing left on the shelves in March. Yes, March 2020. 

When Covid hit we all filled the stores and scrounged for dry goods. I walked in to many stores and when glancing towards the alchohol aisle, I noticed the inventoary was lush. My eyes zeroed in on the seltzers and I almost fell on my butt when I saw the newest brand to throw their hat into the spiked seltzer game. The aptly named, Corona Seltzer made its devue in my heart at the start of quarantine (a lockdown due to Coronavirus). 

I know I am not the first one to make this connection between the brand and COVID-19, but this was my first time seeing this brand's seltzer and I was skeptical to say the least. "What a gimic, who do they think they are?" I sneered as I grabbed a Truly Berry Pack and some random bags of beans (again, nothing on the shelves in March 2020). I turned my back on them that day, but once my roommate came home with them, what was I supposed to do? Not try one? I'm not a monster.

I went for the lime, becuase of my familiarity with lime in my Corona beers, and took a sip. 

Amazing. No, it was stunning. Was it my low expectations? I don't care--this brand did it. They made me question my go-to brand and had me excited to try the other flavors. 



Here's how I rate the flavors: 
TROPICAL LIME (green accented can): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
MANGO (orange accented can): ⭐⭐⭐
TROPICAL BLACKBERRY (purple accented can): ⭐⭐⭐⭐
CHERRY (red accented can): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'm a simple gal, I like simple flavors. But allow me to explain further:

Typically, lime is very a sublte taste in hard seltzer. I tend to reach for it in any brand becuase I know will never get sick of an unnatural lime flravoring and it will always be refreshing. I would pair this with tacos or seafood, but you can't wrong with BBQ for any of these seltzers. They typically lend themselves to outdoorsy summery meals like hotdogs and hamburgers. 

Cherry also got 5 stars for very similar reasons. It has little more pop of flavor though, so if you want something with a little more action than lime, Cherry is your best option! 

Tropical Blackberry as a flavor name doesn't really make sense to me, but the flavor itself is pretty darn good. I am unable to give it more than 4 stars becuase my palate is not big on sweet and this is easily the sweetest flavor of the pack. 

I have never really been into artificial Mango, so if you disagree, I'm sure you will like the Mango Corona Seltzer. Sadly, Three stars from me and the last one I reach for (like all the Mango flavors across all brands). 

Come back next week to see which brand I cover next. Hard kombucha anyone? Does that count? Why the hell not. 

Cheers! 
Molly  

Comments

  1. I'm not a beer drinker, but I do enjoy a cold Corona with lime on a hot day with a side of tacos. I have seen these seltzers and thought....mmmm no. Now you have me curious. I am going to try the tropical lime. I'll check back to see what you cover next. Are they only available in a can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in cans! But worth it to me. I love carbonated drinks though so if you're not into that maybe don't waste the money

      Delete
  2. I love your topic! As someone who newly discovered La Croix, which I believe is a seltzer(?), I'm quite interested in what you will write about next. I support a kombucha blog post🍹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you so much! I will do hard kombucha next week, they are very popular and definitely deserve a post.

      Delete
  3. A "stunning" right out of the gate? I'm shook. You betrayed your Truly so quickly! These must be da bomb. Love the topic. Love the playful tone. Love the conversational vibe! Curious to see how quickly you find a new "stunning"! ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #3: Bon, Viv, and Molly: A Love Story

Taking seltzer into my own hands