Post #3: Bon, Viv, and Molly: A Love Story

I write to you on this lovely Monday evening to introduce you to a brand that has become a constant in my life during this nothing-is-constant time.

Her name is Bon & Viv and it is one of the first brands to command that we respect alcoholic sparkling water. You remember my first post? Yes, exactly! This is "the one with the mermaids" that got me turned on to spiked seltzers. Well it used to be...they have since updated their look and the mermaid is a lot less prominent on their logo (see photos below for comparison).


Above: the old Bon and Viv logo, feauring a no-longer-in-operation flavor: "Classic"
credit: unionbeerdist.com



Above: The new look featuring my favorite flavor: "Pear Elderflower"
credit: bonvivspikedseltzer.com
Note: each can has a different color accent on the rim depending on flavor.



Often forgotten about or left out of the disucssion of great hard seltzers, Bon & Viv has proven time and time again that they are the hidden gem of the refrigerated aisle. After a recent re-branding of the logo, B&V has had a surge in popularity and is gaining a cult following not unlike what you might see from Truly and Whiteclaw supporters. 

Most people that I interact with who prefer Truly definitly do not mind Bon & Viv, but Whiteclaw fans are pretty split. I know some Claw-ers who are adamantly against the brand, citing its similarity to Truly as their reasons. But then I know some Claw-ers who have difficulty discerning between brands and claim they actually appreciate all the brands they have tried. When asked their opinion on good ol' B&V, they like it and (if they had to) would place the brand above Truly but not below Whiteclaw.

The common complaint among all Whiteclaw fan? Bon & Viv has a lower alchohol content, coming in at 4.5% while Truly and Whiteclaw both serve a beverage with 5% alchohol content.

However, Bon &Viv offer a similar (and, in my opinion better tasting) drink that you can apparently enjoy more of without overdoing your buzz or calorie intake. That's right: while most claim 100 calories as reason to drink their products, Bon & Viv's 90 calorie promise is hard to miss on their boxes and cans. This is another reason they may be more desireable to you, and why I definitely recommend the brand if you're looking at these stats alone. 

Bon & Viv offers 8 amazing flavors in two variety packs avaliable in most grocery stores (I get mine from Vons, Gelson's, Total Wine, Bevmo, Costco, or Smart & Final). 


Here is how I rate each flavor by pack:

Classic Variety Pack: 
Cranberry (red accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
Black Cherry (maroon accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Grapefruit (pink accented can) ⭐⭐⭐
Mango (gold accented can) ⭐⭐

Tropical Variety Pack:
Pear Elderflower (light, almost neon green, accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Lemon Lime (kelly green accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Clementine Hibiscus (orange accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Coconut Pineapple (blue accented can) ⭐⭐⭐⭐


How I rank them overall from 1 to 8 (1 being my favorite flavor):
  1. Pear Elderflower ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • What a beautiful flavor combination and extra points for orginality and uniqueness of flavor. I enjoy this flavoring of hard ciders and if you feel the same way, you'll love this hard seltzer. It has a nice and not over-exaggerated pear taste with a light compliment of elderflower. Extremley refreshing and best for sipping rather than pairing with food. I enjoy mine most by the pool or river side.
  2. Cranberry ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • Another fantastic idea for a flavor that I have not yet seen in any other brand. I am very excited to bring this one with me through the holiday season as I know it will be the perfect pair to my leftover turkey and sides from Thanksgiving. 
  3. Clementine Hibiscus ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • Another favorite due its unique flavoring combination, this one steals my heart every time. It is sweet but not overbearing and the floral notes that the hisbiscus adds its outstaning. A great blend of familiar and exotic, this can reminds me of adorable and over-priced artisinal cocktails. Luckily, this drink comes in an affordable can and will probably bring you more joy than said cocktails. 
  4. Black Cherry ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • Frequently used as a flavor across all brands due to the naturally satisfying pairing of bubbles and cherry flavoring, this can is an excellent taste tester to see which brand you like best. I reach for it when I know I'm in no hurry becuase it seems to be the only one I am okay with getting a little warm. Normally, you should drink all of these cold, but this one doesn't offend me as much as the temperature of my beverage rises from my hand holding it. 
  5. Lemon Lime ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • A classic flavoring that is refreshing and crisp--perfect with any meal. I highly reccomend this flavor for people who enjoy a vodka soda with a squeeze of lime. I have also found that it's a good neutral taste so its a great place to get you or a friend started on hard seltzers. 
  6. Grapefruit ⭐⭐⭐
    • With such a beloved flavor for alchohol, used in almost every brand's variety packs, they could have done better. Still if you love the bitterness of this citrus, they do a great job of capturing that while still allowing for the refreshing quality that people expect from citrus. 
  7. Mango ⭐⭐
    • again, I'm just not big on the artificial mango flavoring used in these types of drinks.
  8. Coconut Pineapple ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    • I am allergic to pineapple, so this flavor is sort of unfairly thrown at the bottom for that reason. That being said, I have heard amazing things about this flavor, and trusted friends recommended that I rate it at 4 stars! Check it out and let me know what you think.

Alas, this love letter comes to an end. Note how serious this post was--I truly (pun intended) do not mess round when it comes to this brand. I think everyone should know it and love it and there is simply no time to make jokes about it!!!! 

Please drink responsibly and join me next week for another brand review! Any suggestions are welcome. 

Cheers! 
Molly

Comments

  1. Pear elderflower?! Wow, that sounds delicious. I have not heard of this brand, but I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a avid drinker, but I'm curious to try the Cranberry flavor. I might be tempted to mix the different flavors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #2 The Coronavirus made me do it

Taking seltzer into my own hands